Current:Home > ContactSignalHub-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -FundGuru
SignalHub-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 20:39:50
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have SignalHubagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (11899)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Olympic doping case involving Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva starts in Switzerland
- Three things to know about the Hollywood Writers' tentative agreement
- Fresh fighting reported in Ethiopia’s Amhara region between military and local militiamen
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- 9/11-related illnesses have now killed same number of FDNY firefighters as day of attacks: An ongoing tragedy
- At least 1 killed, 18 missing in Guatemala landslide
- Mel Tucker’s attorney: Michigan State doesn’t have cause to fire suspended coach over phone sex
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Kidnapped teen found after captors threaten to cut off body parts, demand $500,000 ransom
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- As Gen. Milley steps down as chairman, his work on Ukraine is just one part of a complicated legacy
- Powerball jackpot rises to estimated $785 million after no winning tickets sold for Saturday's drawing
- Supreme Court's interpretation of the word and could affect thousands of prison sentences each year
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Who's tracking the weapons and money the U.S. is sending to Ukraine? 60 Minutes went to find out.
- Nearly 400 primate skulls headed for U.S. collectors seized in staggering discovery at French airport
- Miley Cyrus Goes Back to Her Brunette Roots in New Hair Transformation
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
An overdose drug is finally over-the-counter. Is that enough to stop the death toll?
Li'i, dolphin who shared tank with Lolita, moves from Seaquarium to SeaWorld San Antonio
How much does it cost to raise a child? College may no longer be the biggest expense.
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
US military captures key Islamic State militant during helicopter raid in Syria
Journalist killed in attack aimed at police in northern Mexico border town
Hollywood screenwriters and studios reach tentative agreement to end prolonged strike